About Us

Momentous changes within the familiar rhythm of school life in Aiken occurred in 2012. Two long-established schools joined forces to create a single K-12 program on two campuses in downtown Aiken. With an outpouring of community support, St. Thaddeus Episcopal Church embraced the union of Aiken Preparatory School and Mead Hall Episcopal School.

Ties between all three institutions run deep. For decades the boarding students at Aiken Prep would walk two blocks on Sunday mornings to worship at St. Thaddeus. One of those boys was George H. Mead, Jr. whose father sat on Aiken Preps board. Years later, in 1955, George H. Mead, Sr. would donate his winter colony estate to St. Thaddeus in memory of his son George, killed in World War II at the Battle of Guadalcanal. St. Thaddeus used the Mead home to start a parish day school, Mead Hall.

Today, Mead Hall has enrolled over 350 students with a wide range of interest in academic, athletic, and extracurricular activities. Small class sizes and a rigorous college preparatory curriculum prepare students for a lifetime of learning and leadership. Mead Hall is accredited by the Southern Association of Independent Schools (SAIS) and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).

St. Thaddeus regards Mead Hall as an essential outreach ministry, acknowledging the privilege and responsibility of shaping childrens lives.